Thursday 8 November 2007

56 Day detention terrorism and Britain

Yesterday I got quite annoyed. Actually very annoyed.

On BBC Radio Cornwall there was a debate about the detention of terrorist suspect for 56 days with out trail. Which I am completely against as it is illiberal, irrational and will only seek to undermine the communities we need to support in the fight against international terrorism.

Lets get one thing straight, terrorism has been part of British life for over 40 years. When I was in primary school (in 1994) we weren't allowed to go to London because of the terrorist threat from the IRA. This "new" terrorism may be different in nature but the motives are the same (based on a ideology and sense of Islamic nationalism and fundamentalism; yes folks this all started when one Saudi namely Osama Bin Laden wanted the US to get out of Saudi Arabia), but now the terrorists want to kill themselves as well as others.

I've studied terrorism as part of both my under and post Graduate degrees, and lets face it the IRA and Unionist terrorist killed more people on UK soil than Al Quedia has ever done.

Anyway I'm deviating from the point. I heard on the radio from one man;

"99% of Muslims aren't terrorists although 99% of Terrorists are Muslims. Send them Back."

I was shocked and appalled by this language. There were more Terrorists in the Maze Prison than have been charged in the past 5 years.

And secondly send who back, who are "them" are them legitimate citizens who help build British society in to one of the greatest in the world but have a different religion to us? I may be white, middle class, and hold a degree but I feel offended when my friends are referred to as "Them."

I honestly feel that 56 day detention is dangerous both in ways aiding extremist organisations and tearing away our civil liberties. (according to the man civil liberties and human rights are different)

If you want to lock people up use the money for more bloody police officers, oh and scrap the card which calls you a number which relates to an entry onto a computer in London. I am a person not a number.

Sorry if thats a bit rantish but the level of the rant just relates to how utterly annoyed I am.

1 comment:

Tristan said...

A bit of a rant, but absolutely correct.

Welcome to the LibDem blogs too :)